The exterior restoration of the 1908 Italianate Fire Hall and former Civic Building which had been gutted and destabilized during a previous failed venture was an important part of the redevelopment into a multi-use building with restaurant, commercial space and residential units.
For the project, RKH Architecture identified the character defining elements of the Fire Hall and developed detailed documentation for the conservation measures necessary for the restoration. These elements included:
• Cupola Bell Tower with round arched openings and pressed tin support columns
• Wide arched recessed openings and wood doors on the north façade
• Bay doors and associated hardware
• “FIRE HALL NO. 1” sign
• Locally manufactured Main Level painted bricks and upper level natural bricks
• Brick Cornice
• Round-headed Oculus window above the main entrance door
• Double-hung wooden sash windows
The original remaining elements and fittings of the interior were also retained and restored;
• The remaining original material of the jail cells in the basement
• Brick walls and arches
The project was able to restore one of the Province’s most architecturally impressive fire halls.