Coutts Train Station
In 1890, the train station was the port of entry by rail and straddled the international border with Coutts at one end of the long, broad platform and Sweetgrass, Mont. at the other. It housed custom offices for both countries and the train/telegraph office, and was owned by Sir Alexander Galt, a father of Canada’s Confederation. As part of the facilities on the Great Falls and Canada Railway line, which stretched from Great Falls to Lethbridge, it was one of only two lunch stations. Today, the Coutts/Sweetgrass International Depot is the only example of an international port of entry by rail remaining in western Canada.
To save it from demolition, in 1999 the Canadian Pacific Railway donated the station to the Great Canadian Plains Railway Society. The Great Canadian Plains Railway Society, based in Stirling, was among recent recipients of the Historical Society of Alberta’s 2009 awards. The society received the Award of Merit for its work in restoring the Coutts/Sweetgrass International Train Station Customs Depot at the park and for promoting the historical importance of the railway in southern Alberta.
The relocation required the 92-ton building trucked to the new site and set on a modern foundation. RKH Architecture prepared the plans and administered the move to a new location in the Galt Historic Railway Park in Stirling Alberta.