The Former Engineer’s House in Evergreen Park, Brooks, Alberta is part of the Alberta Register of Historic Places. RKHA conducted a complete restoration and heritage study for a circa 1911 Classic Revival House originally constructed by the Canadian Pacific Railroad. The house was built as a residence for the CPR Chief Engineer stationed in Brooks. As part of the study a Statement of Significance (SOS) was also completed. RKHA planned, designed and administered the restoration.
The bungalow’s building type originated in nineteenth century colonial India and came to Canada as it spread throughout the British Empire. Character Defining elements found were:
• Single Storey building with uninterrupted sweeping roofline
• Cedar-shingle hipped roof with two unobtrusive small dormers that provide light into the hallway
• Tuscan Order classical columns
• Verandah on the front and east side of the house providing access and views to the yard and its diverse plantings
• Historic window design with true divided light panes
• Formal lifestyle floor plan featuring a butler’s pantry and maid’s chamber.
• Original hardwood flooring
• The planting and vegetation found in the yard are the trial plantings of Augustus Griffin
• Excellent documentation of the life of the house, including original blueprints and historical photos of the house and yard from 1912 – 1935