The Michelsen Farm House represents pioneer life in the Village of Stirling National Historic Site Alberta. The Michelsen Farm was been identified as the initial priority for the restoration program in the Historic Site.
The project was phased into a planning and research study, restoration of the granary and farmhouse and the addition of an information kiosk on the property.
The first part of the extant farmhouse was built between 1902 and 1904, and consisted of two rooms. Further expansion of the house took place in 1912 when the local builder George Oler expanded the dwelling, incorporating the original two room structure into the back of the house. In 1950 ‘the main floor wood structure was replaced’ and at the same time ‘the decorative baseboards were replaced’ in a plain 1" x 8" baseboard. For the Farmhouse restoration it was essential to consider the important historical evidence of interior materials and finishes that were replaced and changed through the building’s history.
The restoration of the original farm granary required the removal of the second floor from the first level of the structure to permit the replacement of rotten members in the stack wall. The two levels of the granary were then restored separately them assembled on a new concrete foundation. The extent of replacement included only the damaged portions of members, thereby maintaining as much original material as possible.